Since their original conception in the late 1800’s, motorcycles have captivated the world’s imagination. And they’ve only grown in popularity since. But with little protection from the elements, and from crashes, their high speeds, quick acceleration, and inattentive car drivers they share the road with, motorcycles can be perilously dangerous.
Just take a look at all of these celebrity motorcycle crashes!
10. Actress and model Lauren Hutton suffered a broken leg while riding her motorcycle during a charity fundraising event for the Guggenheim Museum in New York City in 2000. Actor Dennis Hopper earlier convinced her to wear safety gear.
9. One of the most famous motorcycle accidents of all time took the life of British Army officer T.E. Lawrence, better known as “Lawrence of Arabia,” after he lost control of his Vincent Black Shadow and died in 1935. The famous film starring Peter O’Toole suggests a car accidentally ran him off the road.
8. Actor Gary Busey in 1988 suffered a coma-inducing wreck after a low-speed accident while riding near downtown Los Angeles and required several hours of neurosurgery.
7. Keanu Reeves is an avid motorcyclist with many years of riding experience who in 1997 broke his ankle while riding near his home. Reeves is a fan of vintage British motorcycles and often can be seen riding a vintage Norton or Triumph near his Beverly Hills home.
6. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, riding without a helmet, crashed his motorcycle in 2006, breaking his nose and upper and lower jaws. The rookie quarterback would recover to lead his team to the Super Bowl title.
5. Famous rocker Billy Idol spent nearly a year recovering from his 1990 motorcycle accident after he ran a stop sign and crashed into an oncoming car. Idol remains an avid motorcyclist.
4. Another football player, tight end Kellen Winslow Jr., nearly ended his NFL career before it started when he crashed his new sport bike while riding around helmetless in a parking lot in 2005. He had to swear off motorcycles.
3. Luc Bourdon had a very promising NHL career ahead of him after being selected as the top draft pick of the Vancouver Canucks in 2005, but a fatal accident while riding his Suzuki GSXR-1000 claimed his life before he could blossom.
2. Actor Eric Estrada crashed his motorcycle while riding in Southern California in 1980 during production of the hit TV show “CHiPs.” His injuries included broken ribs and a collapsed lung, and the accident was written into the show to continue production.
1. Ranked among the top 10 greatest rock guitarists by Rolling Stone Magazine, Duane Allman died riding his motorcycle in 1971 after swerving to miss a truck; and band mate Berry Oakley died in similar manner a year later within a block of Allman’s fatal collision.